Target group: Childminders, Pre-Schools and Nurseries
Course description: This course looks at why, where and how to make meaningful observations of children and how to use them to inform planning. This will be linked to writing the 2 year old progress check.
By the end of the course participants will have understood the importance of observations.
- You will have the opportunity to set up systems that will support observation assessment and planning for young children in a childminding setting.
- We will look at your own observations and analyse them to assess the children’s learning and development (please bring some observations with you).
- Participants will have the opportunity to practise making observations of children’s play from video footage.
- Analyse your observations and highlight the children’s progress in line with Development Matters/EY outcomes in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) when considering their interests development and learning.
- To be able to understand how observations feed into assessment and planning.
- Planning next steps from individual observations and children’s interests to incorporate in your weekly plan.
- Opportunity to complete a 2 year progress check from observations and using development matters framework.
- Explanation of the process for the 2 year health and education integrated review.
Throughout the Session you will have practical activities and opportunities for discussion. Be prepared to carry out on-going observations of the children in their settings.